Saturday, May 16, 2020

The Shocking Truth...

Can't let a good or bad pun go unused here.... We'll as you may have noticed from the UTube channel I crawled under the rig to trace some wires and came across a rather disturbing, shocking if you will, situation.

UTube Video of the Shocks

Turns out at some point my new KYB Air shocks busted their upper mounts right off and were just hanging around. Great. Just great. The original shocks were replaced (see my earlier posts on here) and there were no air bags. Just the leaf springs. So, with the right shocks I should have had a great ride and I did!!! I suspect that during one of the trips to the truck shop someone lifted the RV up, dropping the axle and over-extending the shocks. I never heard any noise or hit a big pothole or bump on our trips to cause this. That's my story anyway.....

So, with that going on I pulled the shocks out, re-welded the mounts (fun that was!!!) and installed new KYB shocks. Also ordered a air-bag kit but the Firestone one turns out is on BACKORDER TILL NOVEMBER!!!

Okay then! It's onto Air Lift kits then. Same as the front springs so it's somewhat fitting (HA!) that I get the same for the back.

The Air Lift 88203 kit for Chevy P30's from 1966 till about 1990. Hope to see this show up soon!!

Re-welded shock mounts. Put such a weld bead on there it should never budge! Careful not to set fire to the foam that Tiffin sprays ALL OVER the underside....
 Never a dull moment with this RV! Always a learning experience as long as it's not as extreme as the Tioga.....I'll be posting up a video for this install and the Escape from NY trip in the next week or so!

As always folks: Safe, Happy and Healthy RV'ing!!!

Chasing the Ghosts in the Machine

Hello all from Lockdown Central! It's been 2 months but it seems like 4.... Well, the upgrade work and repairs continue. Had one of those facepalm moments yesterday when tracking down the 110v no-power issue. Forgot about a little grey box under the kitchen sink cabinet. Yep. Transfer switch capacitor is blown. A little part gave up and the switch won't work except on shore power. Will have to remember to check it first (and also remember where it was!!) if this happens.

See that little silver object that looks cracked open (and the clear plastic cover just above and to the right)?? Yep, blown capacitor on the transfer switch!
So, that should resolve the issue with no genset power! In the mean time I have a new 30 amp genset breaker, new main breaker, GFI outlet.....and I found out what it looks like under the back bed. Need some more sound insulation around the generator and will do that before putting the plywood deck back on.

I found one of the better deals on-line at:

With this hopefully having a fix on the way, now it's time to attempt to wrap up the other issues I've found on the RV. While I don't mind fixing old, broken stuff on the RV I DO mind having to replace stuff I replaced already!!! More about that later....

Be sure to watch my UTube channel! The Vintage RV'er

Thanks for reading! Safe, Happy and Healthy RV'ing Everyone!